[Opensim-dev] On Revisions, tags and branches

Sean Dague sdague at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 03:29:50 UTC 2009

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> Now on to tags - trunk, branches and tags are really all one thing: paths. The only real difference is by convention: there is a certain path called /trunk that serves a certain purpose, nemaly to be the focal point for developers. There is a certain name used for paths other than trunk, and that is "branches". Some branches by convention aren't meant to be modified, but serve as snapshots of a point in time - they are called "tags".
>
> But to the server, they are all revisions along differerent link paths. There is really nothing stopping you from committing to a tag - it's just the svn client will be reluctant to do so, as it's aware of the convention.
>
> Keep this in mind, when referring to a 'revision' - it might be on a totally different path, so be sure to mention what path you're really talking about. specifying "trunk, between revision 1343 and 1780" or "0.6.2 post-fixes, between revision 1764 and 2006" again lets you compare revision numbers to indicate advancement of state.
>

> So, don't tell people to check a certain revision out, unless you mean _exactly_ that version - tell them the logical path to it instead.

Related to this, I just pulled together a script that will build a
source release (both .zip and .tar.gz) for all tags in the repository,
and dump them at http://dist.opensimulator.org.

This is now running under cron hourly, so will pick up a new tag release
 pretty quickly.  This is *not* picking up the fix branches, mostly
because that opens the question of "which version of fixes are being
used".  However, given that this means source releases magically appear
shortly after tags, I'd recommend just tagging off 0.6.4.1-release,
0.6.4.2-release, etc when fixes go in that should release to the world.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
sdague at gmail.com