[Opensim-dev] Mono considered harmful

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at hp.com
Fri Apr 3 15:13:47 UTC 2009

The TomTom thing is far more complex than it might seem and a good
example of how companies use patents these days.  I wouldn't be as quick
to claim TomTom is the only one at fault here, there was a counter-suit
and we don't have details on how it was settled.

IMO,there's essentially zero risk to OpenSim.  Even if Mono gets
attacked for patent infringement (which is extremely unlikely IMO, I
won't go into details) the worst case scenarios is that you'd not be
able to run it on Linux using Mono. If you're inclined towards floating
anxiety then this is something to worry about. Otherwise from an OpenSim
perspective there are bigger fish to fry. Like getting to 1.0...

Mike