[Opensim-dev] [Gridnauts] heads up: recent secondlife client versions don't support OSSL functions

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 12:45:48 UTC 2008

Far far from being ideal but as a short term hack to get the os fuctions working again, I guess we could have people putting stub functions at the top of the scripts for the os functions, and then when we get the script on the serve, r remove those stubs.

So at the top of the lsl script on the client there is :

string osSetDynamicTextureData(string dynamicID, string contentType, string data, string extraParams,  int timer)
{
 return "";
}

and the first step in our script compiler is to look for those prototypes and remove them.

As I said its a far from being a good solution, but should work for now?

Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote: To be honest, I think that things should go further than this.  People running OpenSim environments may well want to
implement LSL functions themselves server-side which do not start with either the ll or os prefixes.

Suzy Deffeyes wrote:

> Thanks, Whump. I appreciate you looking into this so quickly.
>
> There are 30-ish functions in OpenSim's scripting with the os prefix.
>  If we could have a way to ensure that any function with the os prefix
> in its name could be passed to the sim, that would work.
>
> Thanks
> Suzy Deffeyes
> Virtual Worlds
> Digital Convergence EBO
> IBM Research
> 512.838.8770
> suzyq at us.ibm.com
>

> Bill Humphries  wrote on 09/26/2008 07:35:48 PM:
>
>  > Suzy, Dr. Scofield:
>  >
>  > Thank you for bringing the issue with compiling scripts with OpenSim-
>  > specific extensions to LSL to our attention.
>  >
>  > It's not our intention to 'break the viewer' with the recent changes,
>  > as a viewer fork would not be in the interests of grid interoperability.
>  >
>  > However, the change was made for a reason, and I need some time to
>  > figure out why it was made.  Thanks for your patience.
>  >
>  > We are looking at the JIRA Suzy filed, http://jira.secondlife.
>  > com/browse/VWR-9332
>  > .
>  >
>  > Thank you.
>  >
>  > -- whump
>  >
>  > On Sep 26, 2008, at 5:23 AM, Suzy Deffeyes wrote:
>  >
>  > > I think it is really helpful to have a common viewer for the OpenGrid
>  > > work, at least in the short term.  Once OpenSim developers switch to
>  > > another viewer, the desire to maintain protocol compatibility with
>  > > Second
>  > > Life becomes much less compelling.
>  > >
>  > > I did some digging into the viewer on this issue, and opened a jira
>  > > for
>  > > it.
>  > >
>  > > http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-9332
>  > >
>  > > OpenSim needs a way to pass OS*() functions in scripts back to the
>  > > sim.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Note also that there appears to be a recent addition to the protocol
>  > > for
>  > > ScriptRunningReply, a bool named 'Mono' is now checked by the
>  > > viewer. I
>  > > opened a Mantis bug for this:
>  > >
>  > > http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2270
> [...]