[Opensim-dev] Separation of HTTP interface from HTTP server

Alan M Webb alan_webb at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 15 13:14:41 UTC 2008

If you want me to hold this back, that's fine. I was assuming that the
interface might change, that's why I was being very careful not to
introduce any changes myself. Were you going to implement the interface
anyway? If you were I'll just ditch the stuff I've done and wait for your
update. As I said I was motivated by a desire to play with some HTTP
alternatives on my personal systems, but I can wait a little longer.

Best regards
Alan
-------------------
T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY
1-914-784-7286
alan_webb at us.ibm.com

Dr Scofield <DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net>
Sent by: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
09/15/2008 03:40 AM
Please respond to
opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
cc

Subject
Re: [Opensim-dev] Separation of HTTP interface from HTTP server

Alan M Webb wrote:

> Hi
>
> It occurred to me that while OpenSim generally demonstrates a commitment
> to the idea of using interfaces to facilitate a choice of service
> implementations, we don't actually do this in the case of the HTTP
> server. We have a single implementation - BaseHttpServer - and that is
> directly referenced through out the tree.
>
> I'd be happy to create an IHTTPServer class and make all of the code
> changes necessary to fix that, and prepare for a second phase where the
> actual server being used could be an initialization choice. Does anybody
> object? Is there a compelling reson why the HTTP server is not already
> isolated in this way?

interesting idea. i'm in the process of completing the OSHttpServer code
this
week --- you might want to hold back on that interface idea a bit.
OSHttpServer
is a bit different from BaseHttpServer.

                 cheers,
                 dr scofield/dirk