[Opensim-dev] Fw: Fix for terrain editing spike problem

Mike Pitman pitman at us.ibm.com
Sun Sep 14 14:20:35 UTC 2008

It didn't look like this post made it the first time.
----- Forwarded by Mike Pitman/Watson/IBM on 09/14/2008 10:19 AM -----

             Mike
             Pitman/Watson/IBM
             09/13/2008 08:49          opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

                                                                   Subject
                                       Fix for terrain editing spike
                                       problem(Document link: Mike Pitman)

Hey Folks,

Mantis 0002187 contains a patch I submitted which fixes the terrain spikes,
and is the result of mostly a tuning operation on the smooth and flatten
tools. I dug in and found that the spikes apparently result from smooth's
overly aggressive iteration steps toward the average curvature, which leads
to an instability that blows up the heights. I introduced a scaling factor
to dampen the 'duration' parameter which tames progress and seems to keep
things stable.

I was no longer able to produce any spikes.

I also adjusted the brush size function to linear, as Adam suggested, which
seems to work much better. I settled on small flatten being just enough to
induce a narrow walkway on the side of a mountain that an avatar can walk
along, medium giving a nice sized trail for an avatar, and large still
useful for big jobs.

I left raise and lower alone, since fast response is good for bulk work and
didn't cause instabilities.

-Mike Pitman/Rez Tone