[Opensim-dev] Thoughts on Scripting

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Sun Sep 14 12:30:20 UTC 2008

Tedd originally wanted to do a script server. Unfortunately, he
found that many things that need to work to support LSL could not be
pushed across a remoting path.
He then abandoned the ScriptServer project and has removed it from
the tree a couple of days ago.

While it may be possible to make it work for some scripts and
scripting languages, it is an unsuitable concept for LSL and
per-prim scripting.

Also, if the script server is half a world away, it would not do
responsiveness any good. Clicking a door and encountering a 2 second
delay until it actually opens isn't my idea of a good user experience.

Melanie