[Opensim-dev] Local assets in Grid mode

Rhian dutchy.rhian at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 12:57:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

> it's not about removing the _functionality_. I understand that there
> are local asset regions, and that many of them have valid reasons
> for using them. I am talking about removing the crufty code that
> makes them possible, and then using a local asset server.

You do have a good point there. I have been wondering why in
standalone we weren't using a local asset server anyway.

> I propose to start an asset server process on the local machine,
> then simply specifying that in your grid configuration. That gives
> you the same local assets, but would allow large swathes of old code
> to be removed from OpenSim, allowing a proper refactor if this part
> of the software.

Please forgive me if I'm saying something stupid, but the way I read
it, in that situation you'd run a local asset server, which gets
ignored upon grid connectivity? Or do you mean (which seems logical)
that the local asset server is merely a pass-through server upon grid
connectivity?
If it's the latter, in a way you start distributing the asset database
(valid only for that simulator), which could also mean an lessening of
the load on the grid asset-server?

Regards,
Rhian (aka Dutchie)