[Opensim-dev] Very sensitive terrain adjustment?

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:54:27 UTC 2008

At 20:38 11/09/2008, Mike Pitman <pitman at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>         -At some point multisim regions in standalone mode had a
> problem with spikes forming,

That was exactly my circumstances when I first raised this. I was
using a 13 region area (all on a single server) in standalone mode
when I got the high spike on each moused over cell. A gentle single
click touch and the area rocketed up perhaps 100m with sheer
sides.  I was using "raise land" with "small" set using a recent
trunk binary build version (around 7-Sep-2008) . I was NOT near a sim
boundary.  It really means its too dangerous at present to risk
smoothing out the land.  I was just trying to fill in a puddle and
ended up with 20 minutes work to recover the system.

I do know this used to happen about a year ago.. but then it settled
down and we had no problem doing minor terraforming adjustments, even
though the operations were a bit slow, and it took the sim system
time to catch up.

Could it be all the latest terrain tool changes have broken this again?

Some in-world adjustment is need even when mostly using terrain files
for the core design.. since you want to make flat bases for building
areas, etc.  So the in world tools do need to work reasonably.