[Opensim-dev] Scripting and compatibility

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Sep 8 08:41:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

that isn't possible. The event queue for other scripts will continue
running, but for the script executing the delayed call, it won't.
Scripts gave no concurrency, no event handler will be called while
another is in progress. This is guaranteed. It is what makes global
variables safe.
Also, those scripts that use email dispatchers and such depend on
that script being totally blocked. Not blocking would be just as bad
as not delaying.

Melanie

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> I have no beef with the delays at all. They were probably introduced for a very good reason by people who has the most working knowledge.
>
> What I think is a bloody nuisance (if it still works that way) is that the event queue stops with the script, which means that if you have a post-back or an e-mail response you need to wait on the recieveing side before you send it - unless you split the code into two scripts.
>
> So, Mel et al, what's your thoughts about having delays in, but keep the event queue responsive?Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB Join the 3d web revolution : http://tribalnet.se/
>

>> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:10:51 +0200> From: DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Scripting and compatibility> > > Dahlia Trimble wrote:> > My $0.02 on the delays:> > > > Often they are necessary to protect the quality of the experience from> > the excessive zeal of aggressive or inexperienced scripters. For> > example, if the llEmail() delays were not there, some scripters could> > run a spam operation from a region and the region owner may be blamed.> > Other cases where limits are useful is in prim creation and motion,> > where if no throttling is available a region could easily be brought to> > it's knees by a script run amuck. Some delays could actually improve the> > perceived performance, such as in the case of prim motion where> > sufficient time is available to notify all observing clients that an> > object has moved before the next movement occurs.> > > > I vaguely remember some discussion about the necessity of t
he delays and> > I thought the consensus was that they would be configurable in some> > fashion,> > i thought so too. those delays seem to make sense if not from an LSL point of> view then at the very least to protect against abuse.> > -- > dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab> SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/> RL: hud at zurich.ibm.com - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/> _______________________________________________> Opensim-dev mailing list> Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev