[Opensim-dev] Restructuring test directories

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 08:26:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:49:43 +0200
Dr Scofield <DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net> wrote:

> Mike Mazur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> wrote:
> >> IMHO, the tests belong in separate DLLs.
> >
> > I'm kind of with Melanie here. Why force the production DLLs to
> > larger sizes when those tests are never run against the same
> > compiled assembly more than once? Also when packaging OpenSim, the
> > test DLLs can be removed, saving a little on space.
> >
> > -1 on combining code and its tests in one assembly.
>
> i think having a.b.c.test and having test and code in different
> assemblies is not contradictory...

If I understand you correctly, you mean putting the tests close to the
code they exercise in the tree and putting the tests in the same
assembly as the code they exercise is not contradictory?

That's pretty confusing...

Here's what I think:
1. +1 on putting the tests very close to the code they exercise in the
tree:

OpenSim/Region/ScriptEngine/Shared/CodeTools/<actual_code>.cs
OpenSim/Region/ScriptEngine/Shared/CodeTools/Tests/<tests_for_actual_code>.cs

2. -1 for putting the tests and code they exercise into a single dll.
The example in 1. should generate two DLLs, one containing the code and
the other containing the tests.

Mike