[Opensim-dev] Scripting and compatibility

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 07:37:42 UTC 2008

My $0.02 on the delays:
Often they are necessary to protect the quality of the experience from the
excessive zeal of aggressive or inexperienced scripters. For example, if the
llEmail() delays were not there, some scripters could run a spam operation
from a region and the region owner may be blamed. Other cases where limits
are useful is in prim creation and motion, where if no throttling is
available a region could easily be brought to it's knees by a script run
amuck. Some delays could actually improve the perceived performance, such as
in the case of prim motion where sufficient time is available to notify all
observing clients that an object has moved before the next movement occurs.

I vaguely remember some discussion about the necessity of the delays and I
thought the consensus was that they would be configurable in some fashion,
but I haven't followed the issue closely to see what was implemented. As a
region owner, I would prefer the delays/limitations were in place for any of
my regions where end user scripts would be running.