[Opensim-dev] OSGrid <-> UCIGrid

Mircea Filipescu mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:04:03 UTC 2008

That sounds like a very good idea. So if I got that right, when one teleports to a certain grid they would only temporarily take all the assets they have in their inventory or attached to the avatar from the grid they come from to the grid they go to? Then, once they leave the grid, these assets would be forgotten on the grid they only visited? That sounds like a good plan and most economical and safe method I'd say. And to avoid the "can't use multiple asset servers at the same time" client issue, every user who teleports to the visiting grid could just upload all assets in its inventory and attachments to that grid's grid asset server and delete them when logging out and not being on the grid any longer.

A question that's raised however is; Will these assets be taken there temporarily or permanently? What if someone wants to make something there and take it back to the other grid and in its assets? I was looking at the "Multiple 'My Inventory' entries" issue again a few days ago... maybe we can make a My Inventory root folder for every grid and every user would have two My Inventory's one for the grid they came from and one for the grid they're visiting? One of them would be used temporarily for the grid you are visiting and if you want to keep it permanently you move it to the real My Inventory in that case. The OSGrid outage issue that created that problem proved you can have multiple My Inventory sets under inventory, so maybe that could be an interesting method.

As for the UUID conflict (because yes, as many billions of UUID combinations as there are on a grid as wide as LL's for example conflict is very likely), I guess that the only thing we can do in the situation of a conflict is to assign a new UUID to the asset which conflicts with an already-there asset that has the same UUID. But also do that to anything referencing that asset so we won't end up with gray textures and missing sounds in such a scenario.