[Opensim-dev] Client packet throttling - kilobits versus kilobytes

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 21:50:32 UTC 2008

[Sorry, maximum settable in the Linden UI should have read 1500 kbits, not 15000 (also corrected below to save confusion)]

In LLPacketThrottle we interpret the AgentThrottle numbers coming from the client as kilobytes per second.  This is also
detailed in libomv docs at

http://www.libsecondlife.org/docs/trunk/html/T_OpenMetaverse_AgentThrottle.htm

But the Linden Lab client UI lists lists its maximum network traffic figure in kilobits per second, where the maximum
settable is 1500.  At this setting, the
AgentThrottle packet comes through with a total throttle max of 1536000 (which does approximate to 1500 kbits).

However, as we're interpreting this as a bytes per second figure instead, we end up setting a max throttle of 12000 kbits.

This may be the cause of some of the various 'bomb crater' and 'ghost prim' bugs that have crept up recently (notably
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2283), where we end up pushing data to the client faster than the network
link can handle it.

I am finding it a little hard to believe that this has gone unnoticed for so long though, so I'd like to know what other
people think about this.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey