[Opensim-dev] group anyone ?

Latha Serevi latha at solarmirror.com
Sat Oct 4 19:17:54 UTC 2008

 > From: Lc <lcc1967 at gmail.com>
 > is someone working on groups implementations atm ?
 > if not, i will have a look...   --SM

Sounds good, SM, but it may not be easy to figure out what to implement!

Groups in SL seem to serve two very different kinds of purposes:
social networking and access control.

There's also a range of security levels from insecure and uncontrolled
all the way to fully cryptographically secure.

A good secure-groups mechanism seems like such a good building block
that I wrote up a wiki page about how to use them for ALL open grid trust.
I went a little overboard, but here it is.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Latha_Serevi/OGP_trust_proposal_based_on_secure_groups

On the other hand, if we refuse to send group IM's to entities who don't use
cryptographic certificates, we have shot interoperability in the foot.

I don't want to muddy the waters!   But please be aware that this area
is not
conceptually simple, and that one size may not fit all.

Cheers
Latha Serevi

(Hi, I'm new to this list; I'm an AW Groupy in SL.
I wish there were a protocol spec I could contribute to!
If a good open grid spec started appearing on the openmetaverse.org
wiki, would that be a good thing for our open grid community?
How can I behave in a way that tends to unify us, rather than fragment us?)