[Opensim-dev] HttpServer overview & RFC

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Thu May 29 09:49:37 UTC 2008

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> To me it sounds like 'Handled' is the flush-and-end helper function to
> 'Detached'?
kind of, yes.

> I guess the best example is the "long poll" of the LL http polling
> queue, where every request is specified to be 'held' for a time
> interval, so that the server can add events over a time.
yep.

> And, on that note : one of the problems we see and will see even more,
> is that http requests that are taken from the thread pool helps to
> exhaust the pool.
>
> If we had some declarative way of stating 'this handler has the
> potential to be long running' meaning it will get a new thread
> allocated, that would probably be a good idea.
>
> (Or the http handler has an internal private thread pool)
that was the idea behind the OSHttpRequestPumps: allocate a fixed
(configurable) number of pumps that take care of this.

what we could also do: long poll handler spawns new thread, hands in
OSHttpRequest, and returns Detached to OSHttpRequestPump. thread keeps
dealing with that client.

    cheers,
    dr scofield

--