[Opensim-dev] Interrelated difficult problems related to asset portability

Jani Pirkola jpirkola at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:20:41 UTC 2008

Kyle,

Using the viewer to detect copies is an excellent idea! Anyone can hack his
or her version of the viewer, or even a group of users can use a hacked
viewer, but there will always be one who isn't.

I also agree that copy prevention will not work, ever. If I see (or hear) an
asset on my computer, I have  a copy of it already.

My personal vision of how this could be solved is to rely on people's own
attitudes towards theft. If I could use my viewer to check whether things I
see are stolen, e.g. I could see red marks on all avatar clothes that are
stolen, I would not use anything stolen on my own avatar, because people
would start to think me as a thief. (Oh look, that is the man who stole his
hat from that poor student girl)

How this could be achieved technically then? I suggest an object hash
server, where asset content hash value is stored along with the owner and
the license and permissions to use for those who bought it, for example.
When I upload some asset to some opensim server, then that opensim server
would calculcate the hash (and why not to use it as UUID as well to make
caching work better at client?) and send it to object hash server with
permissions from the viewer.

The object hash servers would be hosted by organizations we trust
(realXtend? LL? Verizon?), and they would have a network of trust in between
them. The object hash servers should of course also replicate data back and
forth to make sure that all the asset rights are correctly updated.

This does not need necessarily any modifications to the SL Viewer itself,
there could be a separate tool  (e.g. a copyrightbot as Diva suggested) to
make check on a place or avatar first and when the system comes widespread
enough, maybe it could be built in to SL Viewer as well.
realXtend viewer could support that from the beginning.

Also, Kyle's suggestion that the viewer reports abuse of copyrighted
material is easy to implement in this scenario. His point that even there
were a hacked client available without that copyrighted material detection,
there would always be someone with a non-hacked version can be used as vice
versa: Even if standard SL Viewer didn't have the copyright violation
reporting feature, always someone would be using a viewer which includes
that!

That kind of system could be done by OpenSim and it would be taken into use,
given that someone with enough trust takes the hosting of the first object
hash server.

Best regards,
Jani Pirkola
realXtend program manager