[Opensim-dev] Interrelated difficult problems related to asset portability

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:19:34 UTC 2008

I believe that this does actually need to be in the end-user viewer,
simply because users create their own intentional communities.  The
larger/more egregious of these communities are more likely to have at
least one person using the official viewer without covering
tracks/preventing the squawk.  No community is likely to let a random
bot in to scan inventory periodically.

Really, since everyone must use a viewer, and you don't want to add
new message types to be blocked by a proxy, and the workability of the
entire system depends on as many eyes as possible keeping watch...
well, I can't think of any local place for this that will work but the
viewer.

As well, it would have to be completely transparent/invisible to the
user (obviously assented to in the viewer license agreement, but
otherwise doing no harm).

For optimization, the hashes could be preconputed by the server and
sent along with the asset; this would also provide a means of
identifying network data corruption between the viewer and region if
such ever came into question.

As for correlation overhead... what's the difficulty of determining if
a given key (the asset hash) already exists in a given hash bucket?

-Kyle H