[Opensim-dev] Interrelated difficult problems related to asset portability

Belxjander Serechai belxjander at gmail.com
Fri May 23 15:49:12 UTC 2008

I see the seperation and modularization of the opensim differently

my personal view is this...

each "grid" has own "U G" and "A I" are decoupled,

  Users from any Grid can use Asset services from one or more,
  and the U service for OpenSIM is like "customs" for the G managed Regions,

Inventory is localized for on-grid asset and inventory but each "User"
  has provision for use of a non-local "Inventory" service...

an example,

User A from Grid A wants access to Grid B

  User A approachs Grid B and obtains a "passport" sign-in for Grid B,
  then User A would need to travel an "inter-connect" between grids

Each "Grid" being like a Glass walled garden... you can sign-up and view
  using a "blank" AV for that Grid... but the Interconnect is where
  content and Users can "crossover" between grids

Ive already got a sketch for this written up and I am currently trying
to sort out
  getting two machines to independantly run standalone UGAIR of a single region
  to experiment with making this work,  having an AV for each able to
cross to the other.

I see the "interconnect" as a similar mechanism to International Customs...
  a policy agreement between grids is required... and the interconnect
cant just let "anything" go through
  which also mandates some kind of grid-local "Garbage collector" system

There is a LOT of cross-over between the interconnection of grids and
the mass-access of content,
  but each "interconnect" setup is going to require that there is some
kind of "iptables ruleset"
  in scripting was is permitted and what is denied with the final say
being down to some kind of administrative
  policy... the technology needs to allow for flexibility in what
policy decisions can be made.