[Opensim-dev] Interrelated difficult problems related to asset portability

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Fri May 23 09:59:46 UTC 2008

Diva Canto wrote:
> Interesting idea.
> But you don't need to place this in people's viewers. The viewer would incur
> in a big performance penalty to correlate assets.
>
> However, what you're proposing suggests a monitoring system that could be
> achieved by other means, for example, by using libsl to develop a system
> specifically designed for detecting asset clones. (Clone detection is a cool
> nerdy thing to do for lots of purposes :-)
>
> In other words, there's an opportunity for developing crawlers that roam
> around looking for specific items that people want to protect. It would be
> the good twin sister of copybot, let's call it copyrightbot :-)
>
> This monitoring can be done on the web too, but I guess people don't bother
> to do it.
people do. IBM is offering a service to detect trademark/logo use on the
web (the IBM folks claim to have a larger spider DB than google, the
compute center  used for that is reportedly HUGE).
>  In virtual worlds, they might bother to do it, because there may
> be people willing to pay. Maybe. There's certainly a [small] market for
> clone detection in source code and other artifacts that are time-consuming
> to produce.

i think there's a huge market out there. and it will grow with the
growth of VWs.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/