[Opensim-dev] More on asset portability

liu xiaolu lulurun at gmail.com
Thu May 22 02:39:47 UTC 2008

My current throughts on your usecase:

>Grid A has all UGAI services.
>Grid B also has all UGAI services.

UseCase I.
>User B (normally lives on Grid B) creates an account on Grid A.  How do
>they specify their AI servers?  They also need to now duplicate all the
>rest of their user info there (name, profile, etc.)?

AssetServer(Url) and InventoryServer(Url) of Grid B are publicly available.
When User B login to Grid A for the first time, User B can choose the 2
following methods to complete its registration:
 1. User B just do a ordinary registration at Grid A.
Grid A should provide the interface for User B to input its user info
(including name, profile, AI servers).
This process can be abbreviated if Grid B is able to provide User B's info
to another external service(Grid A) in a trusted way. This means, User B
only
tells Grid A its UserServerUrl(at Grid B), Grid A "GetUserProfile" from Grid
B.
 2. (ideal case) User OpenID.
OpenID has 2 useful extensions:
*. Attribute Exchange
http://openid.net/specs/openid-attribute-exchange-1_0.html
enable openid holder to store thier extra information(profile, AI servers)
*. Simple Registration
http://openid.net/specs/openid-simple-registration-extension-1_0.html
when the authentication finished successfully, openid consumer(or relying
party,
in this case it is Grid A's UserServer) can get the extra information from
openid provider(in this case it is like http://www.myopenid.com).
User B has an OpenID at myopenid.com, Grid A supports OpenID login.
Grid A can get User B's full profile after authentication from myopenid.com.

UseCase II.
>User B uploads a texture, which AI does it go in?  User B puts that
>texture on a surface, what AI does it live in?

Since AssetServer and InventoryServer has became properties of an user, when
an user specified AI server urls avaliable, regionserver should always
get/put
user owned assets from/to the user specified AI server.
So in this case,
* User B uploads a texture, it gose in Grid B's AI.
* User B puts that texture on a surface:
this is a quite complecated thing.
"that texture" belongs to User B, but when it is put on a region owned prim,
a copy of "that texture" should be made, and the copy should be saved in
Grid A's asset server. ...
yes,
*           "More thought needed."  -- stefan*
:>
We should build asset-fetching policies into region server.

Currently, as the first step, I am thinking about just enabling "Appearance
Portability".
So as a start, do you agree with to put "getUserAppearance" in
InventoryServer
instead of in UserServer ?

regards,
lulurun