[Opensim-dev] More on asset portability

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Wed May 21 14:09:52 UTC 2008

Recently, we've given distributed assets some thought.

The base problem is that assets are (by sl legacy) requested by guid from the viewer to the region, and the question is how the region would know where to fetch that asset. So, in the case of avatar clothing, for example, we send a 'shirt' asset that within itself contains a shirt texture asset guid that is then requested from the viewer.

Now, the region only forwarded the shirt asset from the assetserver, so it actually doesn't know about the texture guid that was referenced within it.

But it still needs to know where to fetch the texture asset with that guid.
One solution that I can see would be if we scanned assets passing thru the server and kept track of the guids within it, tagging them with what asset they were referenced by. That would take a lot of processing power.

More thought needed.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB