[Opensim-dev] Help with Diagnosing Connectivity Issues

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Wed May 7 15:54:40 UTC 2008

Yeah, well, we discussed where we would mail it; I guess we should have had an opensim-announce list or something?

/Stefan

Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:23:51 +0100From: jjustincc at googlemail.comTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSubject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Help with Diagnosing Connectivity IssuesWell, it's not very OpenSim dev but I'm sure we can make an exception this once :-)Best of luck with this venture, guys.
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:

Hey guys,our aplogies if this comes across as spam; it's certainly not our intention. We just wanted to point out that we've just entered public beta with 'Tribal Server Desktop Edition', a concept that will well double as a helpful tool to debug connectivity issues for OpenSim installations - especially something that could help newcomers get an OpenSim region up and running fast.Basically, what we have is an easy-to-install easy-to-setup OpenSim-based desktop region application that auto-senses external IP and connects to our grid.On connection, the Nexus does a ping-back on the UDP, HTTP and Remoting ports to see that there's actually a region answering. If any connectivity test fails, it reports on the failing port(s) and offers generic help. At the moment, the application is Windows only, but for Windows users it's quite an useful tool to diagnose OpenSim connectivity problems, as it runs out-of-the-box on 2003/XP/Vista, both 32 and 64 bit, registers with Vista UAC, opens up windows firewall and supports UPnP for NAT traversal. Bottom line, if you can get your Windows machine up and running Tribal Server Desktop Edition, you know what you should check to get your OpenSim configuration up with the same settings.See http://tribalnet.se for downloads and more information.Best Regards,Stefan (lbsa71) and Darren (MW)Tribal Media ABPS: With this, Stefan's _dad_ managed to install and get a public region up on his home computer with no intervention from our part. That certainly says something. :D_______________________________________________Opensim-dev mailing listOpensim-dev at lists.berlios.dehttps://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev