[Opensim-dev] Robotics in OpenSim?

kino at daxtron.com kino at daxtron.com
Thu May 1 18:34:14 UTC 2008

Hi Ben,

I was asking similar questions in IRC last week with respect to combining real time servo models with the existing animation system. I was looking at dynamic generation and relay of BVH file (or the equivelent content). This touched the topics of ODE interaction with avatars and streaming the animation information from the client to the server.

One point/question is : Are the animation and in-world movement seperate? I would assume so since you can fly, float, teleport etc. If so then one aspect of Player/Gazebo should be fairly easy to implement since it can at one level think of the avatar as a standard wheeled (as in polar coordinate driven) robot. A simple example: if you tuck your avatars legs up, does it fall to the ground, and if so why? How does physics know to drop the body? Simple bounding box or something more complex? How does the animation affect the skeleton and bounding boxes and how does the bounding boxes affect the in world interaction? And of course how can you affect the skeleton in a way other than animation?

I'm also tasked with helping the OpenCog get into Opensim as my Gsoc project, so any help will be at least doubly appreciated. I've been focused more on adding to Opensim scripting functions and languages, but did add to the in-world sensor functions. So while there are unknown sections to me, its not completly foreign.

Bests,
Kino

p.s. Oh, goody! More help! Need a fact finding field trip to China!