[Opensim-dev] Proposal for using OpenID in OpenSim

The Burnman theburnman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:01:32 UTC 2008

My concern, much like what Melanie stated, is that I do not want to be
forced to use a 3rd party service to use OpenSim.  If OpenID is not an
optional module, I will drop OpenSim from my toolset and move on to
something else.

Aside from the idea of being forced to use 3rd party services, two concerns
I have about using OpenID are:

1) Data security and integrity - With no control over authentication or
storage of related data, what's to say data won't be stolen or corrupted,
thus causing my clients/users distress and thus causing me a nightmare?

2) Service perpetuality (I might have made that word up) - What guarantees
OpenID will remain in business in a year, considering how volatile the
Internet business world is?  How much downtime do I have to deal with
because of maintenance or hardware failure?

In fact, I don't know why people think OpenID is a good idea at all.  The
whole concept is based on trusting a 3rd party to remain up 100% of the
time, completely secure, and functioning efficiently.  Using OpenID takes
any control of those variables out of my hands, and if they have an issue,
my service is offline.

Sure, it allows some level of interoperability, but I don't consider it
worth the risk for my projects.  Just do a Google search for "OpenID
security" (or similar search parameters) and read about the concerns a lot
of people have about OpenID.