[Opensim-dev] Stability & Memory issues

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 22 09:51:34 UTC 2008

Jeff Ames wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Justin Clark-Casey
> <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>  This treats the symptom rather than the cause.  I suspect there is some
>>  deeper underlying reason for the constant re-requesting, possibly
>>  connected with the interaction between OpenSim and the Linden client.
>>

> Just a blind guess, but last time I checked we weren't really handling
> the discardLevel in the RequestImage packet.  Perhaps the viewer is
> requesting different mipmap levels of the same texture?

Hmm, it's hard to say.  I don't believe this is the problem, since it
appears that some clients request endlessly while others do not.  UUIDs
for which there is no associated texture can also get hit upon in the
same way.

My personal blind guess at the moment is that this might have something
to do with the avatar appearance texture problems that appear in some
clients, such as mine on my T60 ThinkPad in Windows (where I'm always a
completely black avatar).  There's a tantalizing sliver of evidence
described in http://www.libsecondlife.org/wiki/AgentSetAppearance where
one of the repeatedly requested non-existing textures
(C228D1CF4B5D4BA884F4899A0796AA97) is apparantly "a strange
avatar-related texture".

However, if this is the issue the cause could be rather complicated,
since I've heard that the black avatar problem might even being
something to do with the client's graphics driver (though I personally
don't know what complicated chain of causality would provoke this).

Regards,

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey