[Opensim-dev] Mixed License (module) svn

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 10:47:11 UTC 2008

I believe what Stefan was saying is that if there was a external svn, that contained code/modules under different licenses like the GPL. Then anyone could checkout the opensim core and then those modules and have the whole thing as a gpl application. As the bsd license allows people to basically relicense it to gpl. The only thing they would need to do is to make sure any proprietary third party libraries are removed.

Ryan McDougall <ryan at 3di.jp> wrote: That doesn't sound right. Do you have a link to where you've gotten your information from?

It sounds like you're saying that so long as you keep them on separate SVNs you've fully provided for all the clauses in the GPL, and that you're able to run a GPL binary with a BSD one.

That appears to be in contradiction of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL_linking_exception

The only way you can use GPL with non-GPL-compat is if it runs in an external process, a la SLVoice.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,

----- "Stefan Andersson"  wrote:
Yes,

the problem isn't using OpenSim and GPL:ed code together, the problem is introducing GPL:ed code in a BSD project; we do have the module system, which would let anyone, tainted or not, write GPL:ed code that would play very well with the core.

We would just not place that code and its dependencies in our BSD svn - you'd have to make it available say, on your own web site.

Also, as an alternative, we have been discussing setting up another repo (actually, another site completely) that holds non-core modules and extensions. That repo can very well be under mixed licenses.

/Stefan