[Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 06:16:33 UTC 2008

> The reason why we don't look at the client code is simply because of fears
> of a possible lawsuit by Linden Labs or any other GPL contributor, again
> if you haven't Googled "inevitable disclosure" yet please do so.

I've done so, and confirmed my suspicions: inevitable disclosure is a
doctrine that applies to trade secrets and employment.  I can find no
references to its application to the case at hand.  IANAL, but YAINL too
(You All Is Not Lawyers).

I'm tired of this argument, and I don't know what "high-priced IP attorneys"
gave this advice, but it's patently ridiculous.  Copyright is fundamentally
different from trade secrets -- it's OPEN SOURCE for *** sake.  ANYONE CAN
CHECK TO SEE IF THE CODE WAS COPIED.  There is absolutely no provision in
the GPL that keeps IDEAS locked into the license; it is explicitly,
specifically, and exclusively about the actual code, which is right there
for anyone to read.  In fact, GPL2 has a specific prohibition *AGAINST* the
exact sort of lawsuit people are apparently afraid of.  The only thing that
matters is whether the code is the same, not who had access to it.

However several of the core developers have convinced themselves and/or been
convinced that this is a reasonable precaution, and it seems hopeless to
kick the dead horse.