[Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Tue Mar 18 18:48:22 UTC 2008

Michael Wright wrote:
> Well, we couldn't accept any GPL code, as that isn't generally
> compatible with BSD, in the sense that BSD code can't use GPL code
> (unless the gpl code has a FLOSS exception). And also we have third
> party libraries that just aren't GPL compatible, like physx.

That is the assumption made for GPLv2. With the GPLv3, it's just the
proprietary third party libraries that are of concern. I don't see how
any of those would prevent the production open standards for virtual
world interoperability.

> There has been talk about having code (say modules ) under say the
> LGPL, but it was decided that its easier to just have all the code in
> opensim svn under BSD. That doesn't stop people creating modules that
> are under a LGPL license, just that at this time we aren't including
> such code in our svn. */
> /*

There is software that has existed before even OpenSim was made. All
that software is being thought as completely useless to OpenSim if it is
not LGPL with such criteria for inclusion. Maybe, just a suggestion to
make it more clear, that it is a "criteria for the repository" and not
something where you can't look at GPL code. Such things send out mixed
messages and a bit of confusion. It is certainly possible to create
another repository and mix GPL and BSD code together. It is not always
possible, and probably not practical, to expect older software to
completely change licenses just to be included in OpenSim's svn repository.