[Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Tue Mar 18 07:04:35 UTC 2008

Actually, LL is well aware of our situation, and we are not alone in pressuring them for similar concessions. LL and OpenSim has always been on good terms and various OpenSim people are in discussions with various Linden people over various issues, including this.

For us, it's pretty clear; the lawyers and corporate advisors we've had at our disposal, have all agreed that we, to protect the integrity of the OpenSim core 100% , should take the threat of GPL taint very seriously.

Even if it hasn't been proven in court, because nobody has had the money to run that lawsuit, doesn't mean it's not an issue.

This is NOT a declaration of mistrust, merely precaution. This project and it's license is worth way more than any single glance at incompatibly licensed software.

On a side note, I think we're better off not looking directly at somebody elses implementation; it gives us room for own creativity and preserves a sense of differing.

Best,
/Stefan