[Opensim-dev] Autocreated OpenSim.ini

Alan M Webb alan_webb at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 13 22:03:51 UTC 2008

Yes, the nini merge is what I was talking about. It seems like the natural
way to do it to me. Any approach that doesn't require a code change to add
or change a default must be better.

Best regards
Alan
-------------------
T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY
1-914-784-7286
alan_webb at us.ibm.com

Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se>
Sent by: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
03/13/2008 05:36 PM
Please respond to
opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

<opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de>
cc

Subject
Re: [Opensim-dev] Autocreated OpenSim.ini

Uh. Another approach would be to actually use the 'merge' functionality of
nini so that we could have the .example as a fallback defaults file.

(It should then probably not be called '.example' but rather '.default')

So, by just adding another line of code, we'd have opensim.ini as an
optional local override of entries in opensim.default - then we can change
and add to opensim.default, and peoples local changes are kept untouched.
The startup can create an empty opensim.ini (with just a comment with an
url to a wiki page or something) if there is none on start.

(All this provided the opensim.ini is actually parsed by nini, but if it
isn't, it should be)

Best,
/Stefan