[Opensim-dev] Triage Help

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 10:18:23 UTC 2008

+1 to this.

Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:    .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }  > > We don't need percieved owners of code parts. Obviously, the mantis
> > bugs aren't solved because people are more interested in working with
> > features than fixing bugs. That's not going away because you assign
> > stuff. Rather, it means that those bugs are zombies - living dead issues.
>
> I agree with you about the "don't want percieved owners" part.
> Unfortunately, though, if we only ever implement features instead of
> fixing bugs, we're not going to have a very useful project.

I totally agree with that. I see it thus:

1) We DO fix bugs. We just don't close as many mantis as are opened.
2) Some bugs are fixed 'in-process', when devs are coding on something and running into the bug and fixing it on-the-fly - but then they never bother to look it up in mantis to see if there's an issue on it.
3) In my world, it's quite simple: The project isn't mature enough to be percieved as of usable for a wider audience, and hence there's not enough incentive in any core dev to make it stable. This will change as the project starts to be used in mission-critical applications.

Or, in other words; what we need is
1) A wider community of bug managers - see this as  A CALL TO ARMS; FOLKS - yes, we need YOU!!

The community of 'bug managers' would:
* Monitor mantis for new bugs
* Reproduce the bug and 'confirm' it, together with own notes
* Continously Prioritize and re-prioritize bugs
* Hunt down patchers to do patches for issues, and relating the patch to the bug
* Apply patches and mark them as 'confirmed fixing issue' in mantis
* Hunt down core devs to apply patch
* Update their code and make sure the patch 'took'
* Close patch and related bug issues
* Continously monitoring 'old' issues and re-confirming them, possibly adding more information and re-prioritizing.

This would mean that we would take about 2/3's of the job off the core devs == getting 200% more bugs fixed.

Now, this is something obout a 100 people on this mailing list can be a part of. So, I urge you all, let's get this ball rolling!

and

2) Commercial-grade development

> > Also, if anything, people should be assigned bugs in areas they don't
> > know anything about, so we start spreading the knowledge.
> >
> > If we could get a mantis statistic up front on the wiki page, that
> > might be a motivator, though. Ie, reported/closed and closed by developer.
>
> I quite like this idea, though perhaps just a reported/opened/closed
> summary and not a developer breakdown.

Yeah, well, if we have a community process like the one I sketched out above, it would be wrong to break it down, but if we continue work with this as being individual efforts, I think they should have the kudos, just like the committers have on ohloh.

Best,
/Stefan