[Opensim-dev] Proposed Instant Message / Presence Service Flow

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Mar 10 14:01:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 08:26:16PM -0500, Teravus Ovares wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I've created some diagrams for review with regards to an IM Service/Presence
> service flow.
>
> View the diagrams :  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Proposed_IM_Flow
>
> These were created from the standpoint of Presence and One2One IM.
>
> Please note also, that breaking the IM Service completely out of the
> simulator would leave OpenSimulator incompatible with the SecondLife
> client.  Therefore, the simulator has to touch the IM service. (It also
> allows us to offload the work of delivering one to one Instant messages off
> to the regions instead of relying on a potentially highly overloaded
> bottleneck central server)
>
> Please review and respond here.

I think this looks generally good, but something occured to me this
morning.  I think we need to think about linking profiles to friends as
well, otherwise we end up with another really hard consistency problem
there.

This would also make it easier to do things like in world address book
that stephan was kicking around.  As you just build another Buddy/IM
module that pulls in profiles from some sort of online address book.

       -Sean