[Opensim-dev] Concerning recent grid instability and inconsistency

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 11:47:54 UTC 2008

I haven't had much time to follow this discussion, but just a quick note. We used to have a REST like communications protocol between the regions, but this lead to a lot of problems. Granted it was like the rest of the backend protocols we use, very err primitive. But I just not sure http/xml is the best protocol to be used there, as a lot of the calls are time critical. And there are some things we are yet to add which would increase the network traffic between the regions by quite a bit. Thats why we switched to remoting so we could at least have a binary protocol. Maybe we do need to switch to udp, like I believe Linden Labs do (or at least they used to).

Brian McBee <heartwide at gmail.com> wrote: Coming late to this discussion, but i have a couple of comments about our use of remoting in the interregion communications:

1. It seems like remoting is really designed for a scenario where you own both the client and server ends of the connection, and have a reasonable expectation that the server is up. In a distributed grid environment like OSGRID is running, that assumption isn't true.

2. When playing with the teleport code, I tried to find a way to lower the timeout on the remoting calls, since a failed teleport took forever to resolve. It appears that, at least the way we are doing it, the timeout is hardcoded and cannot be changed. It looks like Microsoft tries to provide a way to change that timeout, but it doesn't actually work.

Perhaps longer term, we should be looking at replacing remoting with a REST interface like we are using for the sim to grid communications.