[Opensim-dev] Voice Module

Ryan McDougall ryan at 3di.jp
Tue Mar 4 05:50:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 07:22 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 03:32:29PM +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > How convenient! There just happens to be a spot of code for just that
> > purpose: https://sourceforge.net/projects/voipforvw
> >
> > Although Im thinking of putting it someplace different. I only chose
> > sourceforge because I had an account from way-back.
> >
> > It works very well with Asterisk, which is what Im testing with. I
> > haven't touched it for a week, and it plain doesn't work yet, but its
> > only a couple steps away from a working solution, and I should be able
> > to get back to working on it next week.
> >
> > Its GPL because of the SIP stack being GPL, but really its of no concern
> > to me. If someone prefers a BSD stack, and can recommend or better yet,
> > implement it, then Im all for it.
>
> Cool!  How far along is this effort?  The fact that it's GPL shouldn't
> be an issue, as SLVoice is a seperate binary.
>
> I think this is definitely the right approach.  Can't wait to see it
> come along.
>
>      -Sean

Its moving about in fits and starts. 3Di needs this for its customers,
but with luck we will have at least an architecture that everyone can
hook into based solely on SIP... its very much as yet unclear, but we're
working on it.

With luck, and a user-provided Asterisk server (to host a SIP conference
bridge), I'd say you can replace vivox on a beta grid in a time frame
best measured in weeks not months. Sooner if someone decides to help.

Ill try and keep everyone updated.

Cheers,