[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

Charles Krinke cfk at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 3 05:06:46 UTC 2008

Thank you, burnman. Apology accepted. Lets go on.

In thinking about your original post, you present an idea which is interesting. That is a OpenSim.ini setting to allow or disallow the download of assets to the client.

There are a number of use cases for OpenSim, some of which favor downloading assets to the client and some of which do not. This would allow the sim server operator, perhaps influenced by the grid operator to allow (or disallow) assets to a client that can handle them. I like this idea. It is consistent with our modular and configurable design and might help to converge part of this asset controversy.

Part of the issue is that some assets may be protected, and some may not. It depends on how the assets were acquired and what the license terms are. With your idea taken to its logical conclusion, we can have both a world such as you envision and a world such as others envision and both with the same sim.

Charles