[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

The Burnman theburnman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 00:05:07 UTC 2008

Hello Terry,

My concerns are with what I have quoted below.  As a content creator, I am
concerned with the lack of Intellectual Property rights protection which
client side inventory would pose.  Why bother to create content if it is
going to get stolen and redistributed?  You will see a lot less in the way
of quality content, since many people use their content creations as a
source of revenue.

I am not sure how the developers feel about this, but as someone who relies
on the ability to set permissions to protect my IP, I would not like to see
client side inventory asset storage.  Now, if the option to restrict content
to remain on the server and NOT be stored locally were available, that would
be fine with me.  That would allow content creators to decide for themselves
how their content is distributed.  Of course, items flagged as server side
only would not be able to move from grid to grid.

It's an interesting problem to solve.