[Opensim-dev] OpenSim codebase statistics.

Mariusz Nowostawski mariusz at nowostawski.org
Sat Jun 28 00:00:14 UTC 2008

Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> There may be instances of "parameter X not used", though, which cannot
> be easily removed.  (If there's no reason to use a given parameter
> that's part of an API, then there's no reason to artificially inflate
> the use-count.)

I fully agree, and it seems folks writing the C# compiler recognised it
as a valid programming practice, too. Not used methods parameters are
not reported as warnings even with the warning level set to maximum.

> There are a lot of reasons that code can exist like this, especially
> in a rapidly-moving project.  -1 for "warnings as errors" from me.

I am pretty neutral about the way code quality is enforced, and
"warnings as errors" may not be the best way to go about it. There might
be cases were warning is unavoidable (like in some computer generated
code that is so vast that not really fixable).

Again, kudos to DrScofield for putting his time into it. Awesome work.

--
cheers
Mariusz