[Opensim-dev] Module/Plugin Loading

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Thu Jun 26 12:25:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sean Dague wrote:
> One of the reasons no one has touched estate settings is that it's the
> deepest darkest part of config.  Our first config mechanism.  There be
> dragons there, and not the anthropomorphic friendly type. :)

Reason i haven't goven it love is that i am under the impression
Adam is working on something there. If that part is really orphaned,
then that is something I would give a shot. I really do need it and
just been holding off to not get in anyone's way. Dragons or not.

> We may also want to switch OpenSim.ini to an xml file if we want more
> nesting.  Big OpenSim.ini files definitely seem overwhelming at this
> point, though not too unweildly.

IMHO, XML is less human-editable than .ini. Files that are normally
generated and just need to be adjusted in details can be XML. But a
file that one is really expected to read top to bottom and change
virtually everything in is better presented as a .ini file, in my
opinion. I find XML to be highly unreadable and cluttered in most
cases and I try to avoid hand-editing XML files if possible.
XML would, IMHO, be a suitable format only if there was  GUI based
config tool to manipulate them. Else, as with the plugin loading
config, it would make it harder for users to understand and work
with it.

Melanie