[Opensim-dev] Module/Plugin Loading

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:09:23 UTC 2008

I've been thinking about what it would take to implement a crude wind model
in opensim, and this thread appears to be along the lines of some of my
thoughts. I've done some CFD visualization work several years ago, but I am
by no means an expert and as such I think I would rather concentrate on
developing the hooks and providing a basic model that can be unplugged and
replaced with other models that would be better suited for more demanding
applications. Such a model may need access to simulation variables like time
of day, sun position, the object meshes used by the physics engine and their
layout in 3D space, weather conditions of neighboring regions, and probably
others. It may need to send weather data to agents in the simulation area,
and expose data to the scripting engine to support functions such as
llWind(). It would also need to be informed of changes in the region such as
adding prims or terrain modifications.

As a relatively new contributor, I'm not really familiar with the benefits
or drawbacks of the various means of plugging in code with these
requirements, and it appears that many of these issues are being brought up
here which is what prompted me it add it to this thread rather than start
another.  Comments?