[Opensim-dev] Module/Plugin Loading

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 14:41:51 UTC 2008

I don't think anyone is saying that the interfaces have to or even should stay the same. think everyone basically agrees that the current system needs changing/fixing. Its just the question of what those changes should be.

I'm certainly against making mono addins a requirement of the core. We can have it as a option, but there should be a way to cut it out of the chain completely. So the wrapper should allow this.

Yes it is used now, but its only in the application plugin system. That isn't really part of the core. I also being the person who added mono addins support for those application plugins, share some of Justinccs concerns about if mono addins really suits our requirements.

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> If OpenSim doesn't support people taking it and using it as a base for
> other applications, and them modifying the parts they need to. And is
> now just meant to be a single application that functions as a SL clone
> Then its no longer anything like the project I started and thats a
> very sorry state for it to end up in.

Using in other applications is definitely ideal.  My comment mostly
comes from the fact that we shouldn't restrict changes in the core
source based based on components not in the core.  The plug points that
exist today aren't a binary interface that is crystalized forever.  This
project is still evolving.

Preventing forward progress on something as important as getting 1 way
to write a plugin (so you don't need to learn 4 different ways to write
1 plugin for OpenSim) because someone has out of tree code based on the
old model seems against this spirit of constant evolution.

    -Sean