[Opensim-dev] Module/Plugin Loading

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 05:32:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 09:09 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:

> Why bother with that wrapping?  Don't we get all those from the addin
> structure already.

The basic reason is very simple, to have one place to add modified
behavior. Specifically the "Critical Plugins" functionality. What I
wrote below is condensed for email reading.

I also noticed there were some hacks (such as deleting the Addins
registry on each startup) that could be centralized.

However, I would like to do a bit better than that if possible. Any
ideas welcome.

> > What do you think?
>
> The loader approach looks very good.  +1 in moving forward on that.
>
> Something to think about down the road is that Addins have online
> repository support built in.  It would be great to have that reasonably
> integrated with OpenSim so that we could move some modules out of the
> core and into online repositories.

Exactly why it would make sense to have a thin layer, so we can handle
OpenSim specific online repos through our own interface. This is just
one step on that path.

>     -Sean

Cheers,