[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Mon Jun 23 20:13:28 UTC 2008

Again, I don't see why we need to have assetId === sha-1 hash - if the only thing we want to accomplish with it is de-duping, we just make sure to send the hash along, and any context can choose to use it to de-dupe or not.

And to trust it or not.

Obviously, you wouldn't trust an assetId generated by an untrusted source to represent the asset binary anyway, so quite a lot of re-hashing and checking will be done along the way anyway.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB Join the 3d web revolution : http://tribalnet.se/

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:59:39 -0400From: teravus at gmail.comTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSubject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table
I'm not convinced the SHA1 UUID will be extensible enough to allow for future plans.   The idea is to not assume anything with a UUID.  Adding assumptions increases scalability at the cost of extensibility.

Best Regards

Teravus