[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Jun 23 14:59:14 UTC 2008

But, as far as I believe, if two people upload the exact same asset,
they should not be coalesced. I know I would not want that to happen
on my grid.

It would rob me, as a content creator, rob me of the ability to
determine whether they used my texture ID via script, or uploaded a
copy (which will cause the asset ID to be different).
When using SHA hashing, the second uploader would be handed the same
ID, which, from my point of view, is not desired.

Also, in the case of a hash collision (same hash for different
items), the uploader would be getting my texture instead of his, not
what he wants. He would basically be handed a full perm copy of a
texture I may have taken hours to create.

So, since duplicate prevention is not proper to attempt, hashing
seems pointless.

Melanie