[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 08:18:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:17:20 +0100
Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> wrote:

> no. Assets are shared. If I give you an item, both items will refer
> to the same asset. Who will have the right to rename?

OK, let's see if I can understand this.

If you give me an item, how many items are there? I assume if you give
me an item it's removed from your inventory and placed into mine. There
is only one reference to the asset.

If you copy the item and give me a copy, what happens? The reference is
copied, while the asset is not? In that case we have two references,
both referring to the same asset as you say.

I guess if you copy an item and give me the copy, a new copy of the
asset is _not_ made because that would clutter up the DB with possibly
thousands of identical assets?

Thanks!
Mike