[Opensim-dev] A software to connect its own region and TP in from locally...

Olish Newman olish at newworldgrid.com
Thu Jun 19 18:16:06 UTC 2008

Hello !

I started to develop a software that creates a region automatically for
a given grid. Clicking on "Create" creates automatically the region file
as the software gets automatically the local IP + public IP + domain
name and you just have to fill the region name and its grid coordinates,
then when all regions are created and configured, the user clicks "Start
Simulator" and the sim starts up after the software configured its
firewall and forwarded its router ports correctly. So people can host
their region for free and at home.

The aim of this software is offer people the ability to attach their own
regions on the grid they choose with the minimum manipulations possible,
and without the need to rent a server or have another computer on the
LAN. But there's a but...

I experimented this last week to TP into my locally hosted regions
(viewer and opensim on the same computer) on OSGrid and my own grid :
anybody outside the LAN can TP in, but anybody inside the LAN can't
sadly, while I heard that some people could. I followed all instructions
on the OSWiki here : http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings . I
run under Windows Vista, and there's no equivalent to iptables to route
the traffic...

It would be really great I think if people could host their regions on
their own computer without such issues.

Is this issue an OpenSim related issue or may I use another software in
order to route correctly the packets to the region from the local viewer
? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would be happy to offer such
a tool to the OpenSim community.

Looking forward your reactions.

Kind regards,

Olish Newman.