[Opensim-dev] Two sets of LSL function implementation files.

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Tue Jun 10 06:35:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

unfortunately, as I said in chat, that is not a possible solution.

Basically, Tedd and I pretty much concur what needs to be done, it's
just not a solution as simple as that.

What happened is that more and more logic that belongs in
DotNetEngine/ was put into Common/ for convenience, along with a
couple of broken implementations that locked this structure pretty
much into place.

This results in the "Common" assembly actually pulling most of
DotNetEngine in, so Common/ currently can't be used to write another
script engine - anything that touches Common/ becomes the
DotNetEngine, pulling in it's event handling and AppDomain handling.

Also, all that stuff is loaded into the AppDomain. Megs of useless
code, that, at best, never gets executed, at worst creates security
holes.

Tedd and I are aware of the steps needed to re-merge the LSL
implementations, which involves putting together a file from both
LSL files, moving engine functionality out of Common/ back into
DotNetEngine/, defining new interfaces and creating a new Common/
assembly from that, that contains only the code that actually needs
to be loaded into the AppDomain, and not half the engine.

This is something that will be done, but can't be done just right
away. So we agreed to carry on for a few more days as we were, while
the options are looked at.

The fork happened because there was no way anyone would have let me
make the changes to Common/ and DotNetEngine/ that are needed, in
time for my deadlines. XEngine was not designed for inclusion, it
was designed as a private patch.
Much positive resonance in IRC, from people who were happy to see a
new script engine, made me submit those patches, resulting in two
copies exiting in trunk.

So, I'm all for reintegration, and I don't want to be perceived as
the one who is against it, I'm +1 myself!

Melanie