[Opensim-dev] terraingen

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 9 21:01:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 07:32:10PM -0700, Diva Canto wrote:
> Hello devs and users,
>
> I made a utility called terraingen that takes USGS DEM files and
> produces r32 terrains.
> Here's a picture of a terrain generated with terraingen, from Ihaca, NY:
> http://tagide.com/misc/Snapshot_003.JPG
>
> The utility and its source can be found here:
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/terraingen/
> The package includes test DEM files of San Francisco.
>
> I tested it on the DEM files I need to handle right now, and it works
> ok, but it's likely that it will have hiccups on other DEM files out
> there. Very concretely, I'm not handling Arc Secs. I didn't test this
> exhaustively. Also, I looked only at the USGS DEM specs, and not other
> variations.
>
> Probably not worth including this in the core OpenSim code, since this
> produces a terrain file that can then be used not just for loading into
> a grid but also for further processing by other peripheral tools. But if
> anyone wants to merge this, or some of it, please go ahead.
>
> Comments, patches, etc. welcome. This is just a first draft of this
> utility. If anyone wants to help improve it, that'd be great!

First off, nice work. :)  I posted it on my blog to help spread the word
about this.

As you evolve this, what would be really neat would be to make a GISData
region module that just let you specify: lat = , long = for the NW
corner of your region, and the module would automatically find, pull
down, convert, and cache the GIS data at start.  :)  It would probably
be a good chunk of work, but it would be really nifty.

   -Sean