[Opensim-dev] Various issues with respect to OpenSim on mono/linux

Mariusz Nowostawski mariusz at nowostawski.org
Wed Jun 4 20:47:19 UTC 2008

Hi James,

We are doing exactly that - trying to get OpenSim on mono stable for
production. We use Linux and Solaris and experiment with various
combination of components and builds. At the moment we run tests with
mono 1.9.1 with different garbage collectors. E.g. on Solaris we run it
with externally compiled latest Boehm GC - it proves to be pretty
reliable and it might be worth trying for you if you experiencing mono
crashes. We could coordinate our efforts and try to reproduce each other
problems - it may ease debugging of core dumps and the like.

Another area of interest for us is continuous profiling of OpenSim on
mono with custom-built profilers. On one hand unix-like environments
offer so much more support and help in debugging and profiling binaries,
but on the other, windows-based .Net platform has much better debugging
and profiling support for .Net assemblies alone - we are trying to
balance what to do on what, and how to make sensible comparisons between
performance on Windows vs. Unix-based OpenSim deployments.

I'll keep posting here what we have come up with as we go along.

best regards
Mariusz