[Opensim-dev] SecondLife protocol dissector for wireshark.

Robert G. Jakabosky bobby at sharedrealm.com
Thu Jul 31 12:44:20 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I have written a wireshark protocol dissector for the SecondLife udp protocol.
It is written in the scripting language Lua and can dynamically parse
the "message_template.msg" file.  The information from the template file is
used for mapping the message id's into message names and decoding all the
blocks & variables in each message.  The level of detail is the same as
SLProxy when it is dumping all packets.  With this dissector and wireshark it
is possible to search packets my messages id or search for a packet that
contains some text string.

I have uploaded the lua scripts to this wiki page:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LLUDP_Dissector

One thing I would like to add is the decoding of some of the binary blob
variables.  It would be very easy to add custom parse of a few select
messages/fields.

--
Robert G. Jakabosky