[Opensim-dev] secure_inventory_server ??

liu xiaolu lulurun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 04:27:34 UTC 2008

Hi good morning,

Personally I'm still far from being sold on a pull system. I think inventory
> and asset servers should be independent. You can set permissions in them to
> say who can access what and what rights they have. But to have a inventory
> server pulling things from various users servers just seems wrong. Its
> making everything too centralised in my opinion.

These my final points:
1. Objectively, once more, inventoryserver contains no information that can
make sure if a request
    is or not from a valid user. only userserver contains that information,
and we all do not want
    such kind of "identity" information to be copied everywhere.
2. according to 1, no matter push or pull, inventoryserver has to validate
the request or anyone can
    use it. => inventoryserver has to "pull" or be "pushed" authed
information from 1 or many
    userservers.
3. that doesn't mean inventoryserver has to rely on some userservers,
inventoryserver just rely on
   if the user want it to validate and how the user want it to validate
requests. as I said,
   inventoryserver exists for its user, not userserver, why inventoryserver
have to "pull" or be
   "pushed" something is because "users" *want* do that to save their
inventory. inventoryserver
   works for users, it does not always trust 1 or some userservers, it
trusts what the user specified.
   It acts as what the user want it to do.
X. authenticated information such like session_id, has the same security
level with password, even
    the current "pull" does not really pull "session_id", it only "pulls"
true or false.
Y. "push" has security issue that any remote peer can "push" to
inventoryserver. to set access
    permissions on inventoryserver side or make a "safe peers" list ?
    I think the "permission" should not be "user" based, because it is
unsafe either, then if the
    "permission" is "url" based, doesn't that mean the same as
inventoryserver rely on the
    "safe peers" ?

But having said that, if we could at least get a pull system that works and
> doesn't break use cases then thats great. But at the moment the current
> system does break perfectly valid use cases.

Really, I think "push" is much more dangerous, and "pull" does not have to
be designed "rigid".
if you can take time to write some of the usecases that should be support,
but current "pull"
inventory breaks them, I would like to do what ever I can do to think and
implement.

regards,
lulurun

> [...]
>> support the above case.
>>
>> There are a number of other use cases that would require multiple
>> grids/instances to access a single inventory set.
>>
>> I find it helps if we think of User server and the grid server as seperate
>> to the inventory and asset server. The user server defines what users can
>> access a grid (plus other data like what inventory server that user is
>> using).  The grid server defines and manages what regions are on a grid.
>>
>> But asset and inventory server can (in part) be thought of more as end
>> user servers. In that a user could use the same servers on multiple grids
>> and that can mean using the same inventory on all grids. So then if we think
>> about defining on the asset and inventory servers what grids/regions can
>> access them.
>>

>> *liu xiaolu <lulurun at gmail.com>* wrote:
>>
>>  First, I want to clarify that, I am not against what you said
>> To release inventory, asset server become independent ones is also what I
>> have been working on.
>>
>> I am just trying to introduce my thoughts:
>> userserver_url, everytime inventoryserver
>> by "user_id", then check the
>> >I really think rather than the inventory server calling a authenticate
>> method on the user server. That
>> >the user server should send a sessionid to the inventory server when a
>> new login happens. I guess
>> >your idea of the userserver_url was something silmilar in that the
>> userserver would update it when
>> >a user logs in? Otherwise if it was just "hardcoded" in the db then it
>> wouldn't solve anything.
>>
>> sorry for the lack of explanation of the new table, temporary let me call
>> it "userserver_dictionary".
>> * "userserver_dictionary" is a table always together with inventoryfolers,
>> inventoryitems
>> * "userserver_dictionary" has 2 column: user_id pkey, userserver_url
>> // user registration
>> when a new user registered at a GridService G1, the user will possibly
>> have its account on G1's
>> userserver U1, then, no matter which inventoryserver the user is using(or
>> going to use), assume it is called InvN,
>> InvN's "userserver_dictionary" would be added 1 record <"uid", U1's url>,
>> // user login to VW
>> * user get authentication at U1, get "session_id"
>> * user login into a regionserver, regionserver gets user's profile and
>> extract user's inventoryserver InvN from its profile.
>> * regionserver requests getInventory("session_id", user.uuid) from InvN.
>> * InvN gets "U1's url" by user.uuid from "userserver_dictionary"
>> * InvN requests check_auth_session("session_id", user.uuid) from "U1's
>> url"
>> //
>> in this case, dose InvN satisfies what you want ?
>> * InvN is separate from any other server
>> * InvN is independent, not rely on any userserver, it pull identity under
>> user's specification(get "userserver_url" by uuid)
>> * InvN can store users from different gridsevices

Lulurun